in Search

Fable 2 and Why It Should Own Your (Good/Evil) Soul

Last post 10-28-2008 3:47 PM by Altair. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-28-2008 1:18 PM

• Raikus
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 10-27-2008
    • Tallahassee, FL
    • Posts 133

Fable 2 and Why It Should Own Your (Good/Evil) Soul

I have been looking forward to Fable 2 for quite a while. I never did play the original game, but everything I kept seeing on gameplay and game structure made me anxious to enjoy the experience. I held off for the first few days (spending my time with Too Human) until, of all things, my wife broke down and bought it for me. I think the conversation went a little something like this:

"I got you a Christmas present. Do you want to wait or open it now?"

"Is it a game."

"Maybe."

"Is it Fable 2?"

"Maybe."

"Now please."

This is a fantastic game. The graphics are very lush and detailed. The voice acting and just the sheer enomity of options available to you are staggering. It's the ultimate sandbox game. Much better than any GTA offering. It's an adventure, roll playing, real estate, profession, strategy game all rolled up with a nice moral/ethical dilema bow. As I'm sure you know, the main focus of Fable 2 is choices. Every choice you make affects your stats -- mostly whether you follow the path of right or wrong. You can also choose to let the NPC's you meet love you, hate you, fear you, find you attractive, find you ugly, find you funny or find you rude. You can buy businesses and houses and get a cheaper price on the sale by either killing the current tennant or cashing in your good nature. It really is engrossing.

Combat is simple and fun. There are no intricate or confusing systems in place here. You like hacking and slashing? Press X! Hack faster? Press X faster! Cast an area spell? Hold down B and release after a charging period. Or light someone's ass on fire with a direcitonal blast. Finally, do you like to stay out of the fray and pick people off from afar? Just pull out your handy crossbow (or rifle or pistol) and plug away.

For my first play through, I decided to be an angel on Earth. Someone good and pure who always looks out for the little guy and protects all of God's little creatures. Well, that didn't last long. I'm still overly moral but I do have a bit of grime on my halo. It's nearly impossible to go through this game as totally good or totally evil. However, due to my good standing I've grown a square job and classic good looks. People love me wherever I go. Women want to marry me (well, most men too) and children want to be me. I married a nice country girl and discovered a glorious homestead where she could live. Everything was going swimingly. Then, the game got a little to realistic.

If you decide to have a family, be warned. There's one thing that makes the transition from real life to digital life without any degradation -- nagging. Every five minutes my family icon is going off. The wife wants time, she wants sex, she wants to give you a gift, she wants to talk. It was getting so bad that when a game glitch happened that removed my wife from the game (like *POOF!* gone. No trace of her but I'm still married) I was actually glad.

I'm touching on just one aspect of the game, but one thing is for certain -- this is the game of the year. You'll spend more time in this game than you have in most others and, for a change, you'll probably love every minute of it. It has it's flaws. There are some graphic glitches and some nearly game breaking issues, but they'll be resolved and patched. Meanwhile get yourself into Albion and start buying some real estate!

• 10-28-2008 3:47 PM In reply to

Re: Fable 2 and Why It Should Own Your (Good/Evil) Soul

That sounds like an amazing game. I have heard so many rave reviews about the first Fable. I'll have to give this one a try when I have time... if I can find some more time to burn. It's interesting when you look at the progression of video games. I still remember when everything was completely linear and no matter what you did or tried to do, the outcome would go exactly the same. Even when choices were incorporated, it was usually just a matter of determining which items you would get, or whether a character lived or died. Now we can have total freedom to create a character, or shape the whole world. I love games that cater to full creativity. They seem to be taking over more and more recently.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)