in Search

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Last post 12-08-2008 5:38 PM by Raikus. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-28-2008 4:51 PM

• mike
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Posts 960

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

A lot of people have been talking about Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I wanted to see what everyone's opinions of it were.

Personally I really enjoyed the movie. I went into it just wanting to be entertained by a fun movie and I definitely got what I wanted. It had very much the usual recipe for an Indiana Jones movie, with the quest for supernatural treasures and the journey towards deep secrets hidden behind ancient puzzles. Harrison Ford has definitely still got his touch. He plays a much older Indiana Jones, but they really play off this well. I was worried when I saw Shia LaBouf was in it. I really didn't like his character in Transformers, but he ended up working perfectly as a younger counterpart to Indiana Jones.

Those wanting a perfectly scientifically plausible and coherent plot may not enjoy this movie as much. It gets a bit hokey and some of the dynamics don't quite hold up to any kind of reality. If you can get past that and not think too hard about it, will probably really enjoy it. If you're expecting to find some kind of deep intellectual stimulation or you want to leave with you heart touched, this probably isn't the movie for you.

For those of you who have seen it, what did you think of it? For those who haven't seen it, do you want to? 

Every man dies, but few truly live. Live your life to its fullest, every day as if it were your last.
    Filed under: ,
  • 05-30-2008 4:11 PM In reply to

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

i saw it the opening weekend, and after the all-too-brief "greasers rumble in the diner" scene i whispered to my friends, "i bet that was the best part of the movie!" at the end of the movie we all discussed it and agreed, that, indeed, that was one of the best snippets. not because the rest of the movie wasn't good, but because that one part was extra good. i would recommend it on the merits of that scene alone.

one friend was annoyed that since jones is, clearly, a good 20 years older, it would make sense that this movie should be set in the 70s instead of the 50s. i argued that they have a formula down pat and it makes more sense that they wouldn't mess with that. like mike pointed out, this is not a movie you watch for its realism.

after the ending, does anyone else think there's gonna be a la bouf spin off?

emcee christmas
    Currents&Waves
  • 05-30-2008 4:19 PM In reply to

• mike
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Posts 960

Oh I'm definitely seeing a new Indiana Jones spinoff coming. I'd love to see NBC pick it up as a new series. The symbolism of the hat blowing in and the kid picking it up would definitely signify the essence of Indiana Jones passing on to his son. I was surprised to see Harrison Ford grab it before he could don this legendary icon before it could pass on to his successor. It was like one last chance for him to say, "Hey, I've still got it." Perhaps Harrison Ford will become the next Sean Connery in the Indiana Jones legacy.

Every man dies, but few truly live. Live your life to its fullest, every day as if it were your last.
  • 06-26-2008 10:18 AM In reply to

• Cae
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-25-2008
    • Florida
    • Posts 74

Hmm, I'd have to say I honestly wasn't thrilled overall with this Indiana Jones movie. I've seen the others and while they're all just as adventurous and action-packed, I just wasn't "feeling it" with this last one. It lacked character development as well as story development. At one point, I wasn't sure if it was meant to be a flash-back scene or was meant to be current-timing. Harrison Ford was okay, but seemed achy throughout. Did he need Motrin? And while her accent wasn't entirely convincing, I did enjoy Cate Blancett's performance as the German commander. As for LaBouf (or whatever the son's real name is), I could definitely see a spinoff, whether on TV or in movie form. LaBouf's (?) acting wasn't amazing, but as Mike said, the hat blowing to his feet in the movie suggests a succession of the Jones legacy. On that note, would LaBouf be able to pull off the same originality that made Harrison Ford such a great Indiana Jones in the first place? 

*Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.*
    Filed under:
  • 06-26-2008 11:00 AM In reply to

yeah, i find it challenging to imagine anyone would recommend this movie on the basis of character development! similarly, i would really question the critical judgment of anyone over, say, 10-12 years old who recommends this as an example of legitimate plot development.

however, if you enjoy campy movies, pop-culture spoofs, and movies chock full of allusion to other movies, then this falls into the right genre for you.

emcee christmas
    Currents&Waves
  • 06-26-2008 11:38 AM In reply to

• mike
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Posts 960

As I'm seeing more and more in cinema, pure entertainment value and showmanship tends to rule out over good characters and deep story. Still if you go into the movie like I did at the time just wanting some fun action, you'll probably enjoy it. 

I have a feeling they will make a new Indiana Jones spinoff but I'm not too hopeful as to how good it will be. There is just something about Harrison Ford that really made Indiana Jones. I have trouble seeing LaBouf's slicked back greaser character carrying on the great Indiana Jones legacy. It seems to me he's more fit to be dance-fighting in West Side story than unlocking the secrets of the ancient world. Still, when the made-for-TV Son of Indiana Jones series hits cheap DVDs, I will probably find myself enjoying its mindless entertainment value.

• 07-18-2008 3:25 PM In reply to

• Cae
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-25-2008
    • Florida
    • Posts 74

Wow, "slicked back greaser ... who's more fit to be dance-fighting in West Side Story"?? Lol, some LaBouf fans aren't going like that one. (Although, I admit, the mental image makes me laugh.) ;-) 

*Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.*
  • 12-08-2008 5:38 PM In reply to

• Raikus
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 10-27-2008
    • Tallahassee, FL
    • Posts 133

I finally got to see Crystal Skull last night and... well it made me really sad. First, this is an Indiana *bleeping* Jones movie. Why should I be so apprehensive to view it (well, mostly because I heard how bad it was). Second, it has George Lucas's handiwork (read: bad ideas) all over it. It really was painful in places. I feel that Crystal Skull did to the Indy series what Matrix Revolutions (and to a lesser extent Reloaded) did to the first Matrix movie -- made it worse by association.

Crystal Skull, quite simply, isn't an Indiana Jones movie. Sure, some of the same people were involved and they called the lead Indiana Jones and referenced older character from the Jones canon and he wore the same trademarked fedora, but the soul of the true Indiana Jones movies has long since transcended this medium. The people most at fault are Lucas and Spielberg for their ludicrous ideas and stupid, stupid filmmaking. I expect this from Lucas (as anyone who watched the second Star Wars trilogy SHOULD expect) but I didn't expect such bad form from Spielberg. I think his infatuation with aliens has really made him less of a directing force and more of a extraterrestrial fanatic.

And the story... wowza. It read like really bad fanfic from some guy who wrote a lot of fanfic for X-Files and Lone Gunman, but then decided to rework it for Indiana Jones and changed names like Mulder and Scully to Indy and Marion. There were none of the "classic" Indy moments in this film (with the exception of the failed whip swing). Those moments that tried to play themselves off as the "bring a sword to a knife fight" and "no ticket" just fell flat. And while the Mythbusters have shown that it is impossible to motorcycle joust with a guard post, there were still elements of believability in the old movies. There's absolutely NO realism in the "refrigerator beats nuke" and "monkey see monkey do" sequences. They are roll-your-eyes (if not full on vomit-in-the-mouth) inducing.

In my opinion the world would have been better off if Crystal Skull had remained a fever dream in Lucas's fat head. I'd still have respect for a movie icon (now married with greaser son) and a director long past his pinnacle.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)