in Search

Battlefield 1943 Now on Xbox Live Arcade!

Last post 07-30-2009 2:05 PM by willburns1. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-13-2009 4:32 PM

• Raikus
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 10-27-2008
    • Tallahassee, FL
    • Posts 133

Battlefield 1943 Now on Xbox Live Arcade!

A couple of years ago I was into competitive PC gaming. While that mostly means Counter-Strike, I played WW2 shooters for the most part. My favorite was the original Call of Duty, but I messed around with Battlefield 1943 and Vietnam as well. It may sound silly, but I still recall those times as some of the best gaming experiences I've had. And after playing Battlefield 1943 last night, some of those memories started flooding back.

Battlefield 1943 is a World War 2 FPS game that features the island hopping strategy of the Pacific campaign. Each map is one of the islands fought over by the Americans and Japanese such as Wake Island, Guadalcanal and, of course, Iwo Jima. The Xbox Live version features a 24 multiplayer cap and is for conquest mode only. Conquest is a capture the flag type game where capturing certain map points awards points and unlocks tanks, boats, jeeps and planes. The longer and more you hold, the faster your points accumulate. Eventually one team will win.

What separates Battlefield 1943 from most FPS is the ability to drive and fly vehicles and the element of teamwork throughout the game. If you don't have an overlying strategy when starting the map chances are you're not going to win the battle. Most strategies involve taking the key map point (usually the airfield) and holding an additional two pieces of real estate to accumulate the points. If you go for all five map points you could decimate the enemy in a quick game, but it leaves your forces spread thin and the possibility for your opponent to gain map points.

Even if you're an excellent console marksman, Battlefield gives you the added challenge of mastering flight and driving controls to really inflict damage via planes and tanks. Usually the most helpful player in the game is the one that controls the air. Of course, there's always those pesky flack guns spread about the map for that reason.

You can download Battlefield 1943 for 1200 Microsoft points ($15) and I consider it well worth the money if you're looking for a smarter FPS multiplayer experience.

• 07-28-2009 9:18 AM In reply to

Re: Battlefield 1943 Now on Xbox Live Arcade!

Well I played the demo last night and I have to say It's a lot of fun. I think it's a great game concept and I enjoyed the vehicles and the different player types. I think its a great game for the xbox live arcade. It's a lot of fun you get points for holding bases was well as shooting people. I have to play it some more to get better. I did my fair share of dying sue to my lack of experience. 

I like the fact the different player types all have their advantages. There isn't one type that is necessarily stronger or weaker it just depends on what you are trying to do. It's a lot of fun and a good buy for 15 bucks on the xbox live arcade. 

• 07-29-2009 2:51 PM In reply to

I've been playing a lot recently. If you guys have gold accounts then you should let me get your screennames, my screenname is a pretty typical stoner name though. I love the game, the classes are great, but I really find it hard to believe that the sniper rifle is just terribly inaccurate, it seems like no matter how far or how little I lead the target I can only hit it consistantly when it's standing still. The air superiority mode is great though, I had a lot of trouble flying at first but it really helped out.

• 07-29-2009 3:02 PM In reply to

Mine is "contankerous0001" and Raikus' is "Raikuss" look me up and we can play some Battlefield it will be fun. I still can't fly that well, it's hard to figure out of my brain wants the flying controls. Anyways, I have not been that successful with the sniper. I have been the most successful with the Rifleman. Anyways look me up and we will play.

• 07-29-2009 4:08 PM In reply to

• Raikus
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 10-27-2008
    • Tallahassee, FL
    • Posts 133

I play the sniper class 95% of the time. Once you get the hang of the sniper rifle it's really great. There are just three things you have to remember -- the bullet has no drop (meaning you don't have to account for gravity), always aim for the head (even multiple body shots won't kill a target) and remember that leading a moving target depends on distance in this game. Once you get used to aiming for headshots the game becomes much easier. As for leading a target you just have to practice. I'd say a mid-distance shot (300-500 yards) you lead with one hash mark if they're running parallel to you. Long-distance (say, shooting across Wake Island or from the high point of Iwo Jima to the airfield) is two hashes.

My favorite thing is TNTing up a flag point, getting into a sniper position and when I see our flag is trying to be capped, blowing up the enemy. Usually I can hold a map point by myself for the entire duration of the match. Even if a tank rolls in they usually camp on the flag and get blown up as well. Fun stuff.

• 07-30-2009 2:05 PM In reply to

I was reading a strategy guide for Battlefield and according to the guide the snipers TNT will stick to vehicles so you could sneak up on a tank and stick the tank with a bomb and then get to a safe distance and detonate the explosive. I thought that was pretty cool.

The strategy guild also made me realize that I was playing the game too much like Halo. I was all about getting kills and storming in like an one man army. In fact when you are travailing around it's the most dangerous time you are more likely to be seen and shot. The more you die the more points you loose for your team so if you die 10 times you better have ten kills and even then you only break even. It's better to just defend a location or go with others to capture a new one. You might at least get some defensive kill points.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)