in Search

Batman: The Dark Knight

Last post 07-30-2008 6:26 PM by Cae. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-30-2008 6:26 PM

• Cae
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-24-2008
    • Florida
    • Posts 74

Batman: The Dark Knight

Spoiler alert! Don't continue reading this if you haven't yet seen the movie and don't want to know certain details. Otherwise, read on and tell me your thoughts!

I've seen The Dark Knight twice now. First of all, this is not your typical cartoon/comicbook movie. This is a MOVIE. Drama, romance, action, mystery, the works. It's also not exactly a "feel good" movie. It's darker than the previous Batman movies, which were often silly fluff, no real evocation of real emotion. The Dark Knight will get to you, get under your skin just a bit. Not enough to creep you out forever, but you'll be thinking about it afterwards. Christian Bale takes up the cape (and funky gagets and vehicles) once again, as he did in Batman Begins a few years ago. He's pretty good in this role, although I do have to say that the constant growl-talking he does when he's Batman gets a little old after the first 20 minutes or so, lol. (Who talks that way? Does he need a lozenge? Doesn't his throat hurt after a day of filming when he has to keep talking that way?). It seems that much of this movie focuses on the bad guys in town, rather than Batman himself and his story. Maybe that's what sets this one apart. I would have liked to see the fight sequences in a more true-to-Batman way, though. It seemed that most, if not all, of his fights are shot from the waist up as he simply fast-boxes someone and moves on too quickly to the next guy. I know he's not Bruce Lee, but it could have had less camera movement and more of his own technique or even gagets! Isn't that what Batman does? I loved Morgan Freeman's role as Bruce Wayne's right-hand man in his business, as well as Michael Caine's role as Alfred, Bruce's/Batman's ever-true butler at his home.

Heath Ledger was AMAZING. I'm sorry for the way his real life ended, but in my opinion, he still deserves an Oscar, an Emmy and any of the other awards that Hollywood likes to give themselves. I read that, in order to prepare for his role as The Joker, Heath basically locked himself into his hotel room, only ordered room service and just sat all day with a pen and paper, trying to get into the Joker's mind. He didn't want to make him just another "bad guy", running around like a lunatic, blowing things up for no reason. He wanted the character to be layered and in some ways, real. For example, WHY is the Joker so messed up in the head? WHY does he think and reason (if you can call it that) the way he does? Well, Heath definitely came to some crazed - and intensely real - conclusions. When the Joker is onscreen, you're creeped out by him, but when he's not onscreen, you're wondering what he's up to. There's some kind of a weird, twisted desire to see what he's thinking, what he's going to do next. I also noticed that when Heath is on and you look in his eyes, you can hardly see any of the real Heath at all. Perhaps he did too good of a job at trying to pry into a psycho's mind in his preparations, but you will hardly recognize him as himself. It's both tragic and also what made his portrayal of the Joker so real. There's another character, Harvey Dent, whom some of you will recognize as the previously played Two Face by Tommy Lee Jones years ago. I forget the real actor's name (in The Dark Knight) at the moment, but he was also incredible. His storyline was more complete, in watching him become one kind of man, having terrible things happening, and then him turning into a monster. (And I'm glad I ate before I saw him in this role!). In some strange way, all of the bad guys in this movie make you feel slightly sorry for them even though they're also crazy and rotten. I guess that's a huge part of the dynamic, though. If you didn't also see the struggle in the bad guys, the story wouldn't seem as full.

I wasn't too crazy about Maggie Gyllenhall taking up the role as Rachel, Bruce's longtime friend from Batman Begins. Katie Holmes played the original role and I think she might have done a slightly better job in this one. Maggie just seemed flat, like she was "acting". But that's a small downturn for an otherwise amazing cast. As I said, this is more of a real movie, not a comicbook comedy. Every emotion is involved on some level and the actors pull you into their world. Lots of action, with the drama and storyline to back it up. A winner in my book. What did you think?

*Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.*
    Filed under: ,
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)