in Search

The NmG all-electric car means No more Gas

Last post 05-22-2008 12:12 PM by mike. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-21-2008 11:47 AM

The NmG all-electric car means No more Gas

If you've been looking for an alternative to your gas-guzzling, Co2-spewing auto, the NmG might be the American-made electric car just for you. That is, if you can get by with a single seater and get a kick out of driving a funny-looking car available in a bunch of fun and funky colors.

The NmG was originally made by CorbinMotors in California and called the Sparrow. But after a 2002 bankruptcy, the company and the car design changed hands a couple times. Now owned by Myers Motors in northeastern Ohio, the all electric vehicle' s new name, NmG, stands for No more Gas.

The NmG is essentially a fully-enclosed, three-wheeled motorcycle, with gas and brake pedals for easier driving. The US Department of Transportation considers the NmG a motorcycle, and most states require motorcycle tags but not a motorcycle license.

Powered by 13 maintenance-free, 12-volt lead acid batteries, it's capable of speeds over 70 mph, and has a range of 30 miles. To recharge the batteries, use the extension cord that comes standard with every NmG, and plug it into any 110 or 220-volt outlet. Charging takes six to 8 hours at 110 volts, but only four to six hours at 220, and costs only $0.02 per mile.

Eighty percent of Americans commute to work alone, and more than half drive fewer than 30 miles a day. With $4/gallon gasoline only a heartbeat away, the NmG could be the answer for a lot of people...if they can afford it; the NmG sells for $45,000.  For more information on the NmG, visit http://www.myersmotors.com/index.html.

• 05-21-2008 12:04 PM In reply to

• mike
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Posts 960

Re: The NmG all-electric car means No more Gas

That is a really nice looking car/bike. It seems like a great option for commuters who want to drive themselves to and from work almost for free. It looks like you would need another gas using vehicle to do long road trips or if you intend to pick up a friend. Still this may be the answer to the prayers of some people. Probably the biggest problem is the price. You would need to use about 11,250 gallons of gas to equal the cost of this vehicle. Even when deducting the usual cost of a new car, it will still be years before this is cost effective. I think they will need to seriously step the price down before it really takes its place in the market. Still, I'm happy to see yet another step in the right direction.

Every man dies, but few truly live. Live your life to its fullest, every day as if it were your last.
  • 05-21-2008 1:53 PM In reply to

• kurt
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-23-2007
    • Tallahassee FL
    • Posts 176

Mike, That is a good point. It seems that with the advances in battery technology derived from the computer and cell phone industries the day when we drive a full sized electric SUV may not be far off. To me the main issues is speed and safety. There is going to be some time at least where electric car users share the roads with larger faster combustion powered vehicles. So to me it's important that I can get in traffic and feel safe. Once we have an electric alternative that is both safe and speedy I am in 100%. Once the car manufacturers see that there are people like me willing to make the jump they will too. I think too I would be willing to pay more for an electric car because of the fuel savings. I spend over $200.00 a month in fuel. You know it's much more than that. There are costs to the environment, loss of life and taxes associated with protecting our energy strategy and on and on. This won't solve all our problems, not even close, but it will help. Once you have a car like this one, you could get solar panels for your house and power your car and home! Imagine the industry this would create and the technology that it would spur.
    George Kurt Artecona
  • 05-22-2008 11:53 AM In reply to

Stay tuned. There are other electric options out there, and I'll be researching and featuring them one by one. For right now, it seems the biggest challenges are affordability and availability.

• 05-22-2008 12:12 PM In reply to

• mike
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Posts 960

That's always the problem at the start of a major movement. New inventions are always expensive and hard to get at the beginning, but they slowly equalize onto a level where consumers can afford them and that is when the industry really turns a profit. I think these insane gas prices are going to usher in an age of independence from these archaic fossil fuels. And the gasoline industry will get just retribution when no one needs their overpriced fuel anymore. I say it serves them right for putting such a stranglehold to choke out every last penny they can from hard working Americans.

I look forward to seeing more of these forerunner electric vehicles.  

Every man dies, but few truly live. Live your life to its fullest, every day as if it were your last.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)