in Search

How to Create Polls

Last post 05-06-2008 4:43 PM by mike. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-06-2008 4:33 PM

• mike
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Posts 960

How to Create Polls

We have just enabled the Poll feature in all forums posts to Blogiversity. Polls can be used within a post or stand alone as a post. They can't be used in replies. They allow users to vote from a list of answers. The answers will then be tallied up and the percentages of each answer will be shown. 

To create a poll, click on the "Poll" tab above the subject box. Check the box to "include a poll in this post". In the "Question" field, type up the question your poll will be asking. You can add a description to clarify or elaborate on the question you are asking in the "Description" field. Then type your answers into the "Add Answer" field. You can add as many answers as you would like.

Once you have your answers listed, you can move them up and down in the list with the arrows to the right of the answers. The red X will delete an answer. If you want to have your poll close at a certain time and stop taking more votes, set how many days it will remain active in the "Expires After" field. When you're finished, you can press "Post" to post your thread with the poll included. If you want to keep writing, Don't press this button, but instead click on the "Compose" tab just below "Write a New Post".

Here's an example of a poll:

How helpful was this guide?

On a scale of 1-5 (1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest), please rate how helpful this guide was.  

• 5 Excellent: I feel like I know everything about polls now! (100%)
    • 4 Good: I'm confident enough to try a poll myself now. (0%)
    • 3 Average: As far as guides go, this one really wasn't very impressive. (0%)
    • 2 Poor: I'm still a little fuzzy about how to use polls... could you repeat that? (0%)
    • 1 Terrible: This was by far the worst guide I have ever read. I'm complaining to the manager! (0%)
    • ?? Sorry I think I fell asleep... what was the question? (0%)
    • Total Votes: 1

Notice I placed it within the text of my post. You can tell it where to place the poll by typing "[P0ll]" wherever you want the poll to appear. (Note I had to use a 0 instead of an o so it would display the text and not the poll. Just use "Poll" within the brackets when you're writing it.

I hope this was helpful. I guess we will find out when the poll results come in.  

Every man dies, but few truly live. Live your life to its fullest, every day as if it were your last.
  • 05-06-2008 4:43 PM In reply to

• mike
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Posts 960

Re: How to Create Polls

I just found an interesting feature about these polls that I wasn't aware of myself. After you have voted, you will see the poll results. At the bottom is a small hyperlink to view the "User Voting Report". If you click this, you can see each user and how they voted. From there you can click on the "Export" button to put all the poll data into a Microsoft Excel CSV spreadsheet. You can use this data in Excel or copy/paste it into other programs.
    Every man dies, but few truly live. Live your life to its fullest, every day as if it were your last.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)