in Search

What are your favorite classics?

Last post 12-26-2008 11:17 AM by Raikus. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-10-2008 5:28 PM

What are your favorite classics?

Now that I am a member of NetFlix, I would love to catch up on those "classic" movies I have never seen because I don't know they exist.

I have enjoyed many Humphrey Bogart, Joan Crawford and Bette Davis movies:

Casablanca
    All About Eve
    Mildred Pierce
    Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (something like that)

Something with a little bit of drama, not too fluffy. Would love some recommendations! 

• 04-11-2008 3:17 PM In reply to

Re: What are your favorite classics?

I belong to NetFlix as well. With Charlton Heston passing away last weekend, I've been inspired to watch some of his movies. I think Ben-Hur, The Ten Commandments, and Midway are the better ones. I have the Planet of the Apes movies still in my queue. I didn't realize there were four of them! I do NOT recommend Soylent Green, it stunk.

May you live every day of your life.
  • 05-25-2008 3:22 PM In reply to

• Squeak
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 05-20-2008
    • SW WA
    • Posts 59

I only really found the first Planet of the Apes movies to be any good. I also really enjoyed the classic King Kong, though the newer version isn't quite the massacre that the more recent rendition of Planet of the Apes was (read: Watch both King Kongs, they're not bad, only watch Heston's version of Planet of the Apes and save yourself the trouble).

I'm really into musicals, for whatever reason. I loved Guys and Dolls, and I'm definitely a fan of The Sound of Music. I think Guys and Dolls to be a little more audience-friendly, however, as The Sound of the Music can be exceptionally long for someone who is not used to a song every 15 minutes or so in their non-Disney movies :P.

Being sad is the same as giving up.
  • 05-27-2008 10:27 AM In reply to

• mike
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Posts 960

I can sum up the movie Soylent Green in one sentence and save you an hour or two of your life that would otherwise be spent watching it. SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!! That's really all there is to it.

I don't think it would quite count as a traditional classic, but I love Weird Al's movie, UHF. It's Weird Al at his finest and it's so funny. He takes over a TV studio and ends up coming up with all kinds of inventive shows like WHEEL OF FISH. This is one of my favorite movies and definitely worth the watch if you're into a fun comedy.

Every man dies, but few truly live. Live your life to its fullest, every day as if it were your last.
  • 06-16-2008 9:49 AM In reply to

I don't know how you feel about musicals, but I love the oldies. Try South Pacific (about racism), The King and I and West Side Story, both about culture clash. Though the story line in all of them is heavy stuff, they were produced for mass consumption so they're easy watching, entertaining, even humorous. They should fulfill all your wants, and it's good to know where some of those wonderful songs came from! I'll bet even the kids would enjoy them, but I'm not sure I'd recommend West Side Story for young 'uns.

• 06-16-2008 9:54 AM In reply to

I replied further down about some other musicals I love, but left out TSOM. Again, the story line is serious (WWII, nazis) but the plot is generally light and entertaining. Even my 6-year-old little boy enjoyed this one because of the children in it--he has revised "I am 16..." to make it better fit his relationship with his 2-year-old niece!

• 12-26-2008 11:17 AM In reply to

• Raikus
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 10-27-2008
    • Tallahassee, FL
    • Posts 133

Mmm, what a great topic!

My favorite movie, of all time, would be Cool Hand Luke. I just don't think there's been a better convergence of script, acting and social commentary done the RIGHT way than this movie. My favorite western would be Once Upon a Time in the West. The scope of that movie is unbelievable and the way Sergio Leone worked music into it was fabulous. Plus, having one of the lovliest ladies to ever appear on film, Claudia Cardinale, didn't hurt either. North by Northwest is the perfect action/thriller movie. And as far as comedies go, Dr. Strangelove is hard to beat.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)