in Search

The Pursuit of Happyness

Last post 05-20-2008 2:58 PM by H2Mommy. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-21-2008 4:57 PM

• mike
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Posts 960

The Pursuit of Happyness

I was a little slow in seeing it but it was well worth the wait. This movie stars Will Smith and his son, Jaden Smith. They play a father and son struggling to survive in San Francisco. When his wife leaves, he is faced with the challenge of not only raising his son on his own, but somehow providing for them without her income. He applies for an extremely competitive internship at a Wallstreet trading company but learns it doesn't provide any income. He goes through the program during the day, and spends all his free time selling hospital equipment. He and his son are eventually thrown into the streets and have to sleep in public bathrooms and homeless shelters while he competes with the other interns for the one open position with the company. In the end he is rewarded with the job and becomes a successful stockbroker.

This story was touching and inspiring. It shows us the determination and love of a father trying to make a better life for his family. We see the agony and desperation brought on by homelessness. Smith and his son play their roles as only a real father and son could do. While this movie was touching and challenging, it was also very well written and entertaining. It's one of those movies that makes you laugh, cry, and want to watch it again with your friends.  

Every man dies, but few truly live. Live your life to its fullest, every day as if it were your last.
    Filed under: ,
  • 03-27-2008 3:36 PM In reply to

• Cae
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-25-2008
    • Florida
    • Posts 74

Re: The Pursuit of Happyness

I totally agree with your comment about this movie making you "laugh, cry and want to watch it again with your friends". I was touched by this movie's reality, with the fact that the writers, directors and even actors didn't fluff it up and shy away from the true difficulty of the story. I was surprised at times when Smith would get frustrated at his son and truly be that stressed-out parent. He played it so well, as did Jayden did. (Although I'd venture a guess that right after those particular scenes, Will probably called, "Cut!" and made sure Jayden was okay and not truly upset!) I also appreciated that Smith's character was always trying to challenge and teach his son, play with him, and while he didn't gloss over everything, he tried to instill a positive outlook and drive in his son. Many times throughout this movie I said, "This guy just can't catch a break!". And yet, at the end of it, when you see that he does suceed probably for the rest of his life, it made me realize something else. That often things in this life aren't freely handed to us. We have to work hard, sometimes until we're at our wits' end. But it's often worth it in the end and seems to be rewarded when we do things right and with integrity. I think the real lesson I took away from this movie is that, while sucess might eventually happen for you, let it always be tempered with your roots. Don't forget the grit under your fingernails and how hard you worked just because it's easier now. Take nothing for granted and ALWAYS make today (even if it's tough) the very best day you can.

*Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.*
  • 03-27-2008 5:36 PM In reply to

This movie was really good. It isn't the kind of movie I normally even like, but I ended up liking it a lot. It really opens your eyes to see how miserable some people are and how hard it is to really become successful. It really struck me that this guy was such a good businessman. Even when his circumstances had him out on the street he carried himself like a successful businessman, even when he had to come to a job interview without a shoe. He had terrible circumstances and bad things kept happening to him, but he just rose above them over and over until he finally became successful.

• 05-20-2008 2:58 PM In reply to

• H2Mommy
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 05-20-2008
    • Tallahassee, Florida
    • Posts 11

I watched this movie a few months after my twins were born which was a bad idea. I was still a hormonal mess and I bawled for hours straight. It was a really great movie but it's one of those that really take on a whole new meaning when you're a parent.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)