in Search

Will Politics Destroy America?

Last post 02-29-2008 11:13 AM by mike. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-29-2008 11:13 AM

• mike
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Posts 960

Will Politics Destroy America?

Will politics in general destroy the very fabric of our country? Will the die hard conflict between Republican and Democrat overshadow and overrule the good of the country? Will the desire to promote a given party overcome the desire to do what is morally and logistically right for our country?

Most of us are associated with a particular political party that we support. One can't hear about any part of an election without references to Republicans or Democrats. Our bipartisan system allows candidates to receive the publicity, funding, and screening they need to become President. They help narrow down candidates for us so we ultimately only have to choose between a handful of candidates. Parties give people a group to identify with and follow. Some people dedicate their entire lives to their party and become so engulfed with politics that they seem to lose themselves in it. When Kerry lost the previous election, it sparked a massive exodus with hundreds of people fleeing the country. So what are the downsides of politics? After working as an assistant political director on a senatorial campaign in college, I got a very good taste of what politics is like... and it wasn't a pleasant flavor.

Most importantly, people tend to vote based on parties and not issues. I know democrats who would vote for a democrat without knowing anything about him, and republicans who would do the same thing for their party. People tend to stick by their political party while they may not even know where their candidate stands on critical issues. If a candidate was pro-global-domination, the issue could easily be played down by a party, blindly backed by its supporters, and promoted into power. The world would be thrust into chaos simply because people were too naive to think for themselves. Hitler rose to power because of his charisma and empty promises, and Germany never saw him coming. By the time they stopped to evaluate his goals and views, it was already too late.

I refuse to call myself Republican or Democrat. I'm an American who thinks for himself, and I think we should all be the same. We should vote as an American citizen, not a mindless follower of propaganda and media hype. We should vote because of what we believe, not because we are rich, poor, white, black, male, or female. I challenge us all to take the time in this election to truly evaluate the candidates and not their party. Find out their views on key issues and look to the good of the country over the good of the party. Don't buy into the schoolyard style mud slinging done by both parties. Don't buy into the spin from the media and each party. Learn for yourself who the candidate is. Look at the objective facts. Find your own information. This is your right and your duty as an American. America leads the world, and we collectively lead America. The world is in good hands... and very bad hands. Ultimately the fate of the entire world rests on the shoulders of us all. It rests equally in the hands of the rich, poor, black, white, male, female, educated, and ignorant. God help us all.

Every man dies, but few truly live. Live your life to its fullest, every day as if it were your last.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)