in Search

Wilco

Last post 12-10-2008 3:15 PM by Raikus. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-10-2008 3:15 PM

• Raikus
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 10-27-2008
    • Tallahassee, FL
    • Posts 133

Wilco

You probably haven't heard of them but I'll almost guarantee you've heard their music. If you've watched anything by NBC or VW in the last two years then you're familiar with some of their newest music from their CD "Sky Blue Sky."

Wilco is without a doubt my favorite band. The band if fronted by Jeff Tweedy (who you may have just seen on the Colbert Report) and includes bassist John Stirratt, guitarist Nels Cline, drummer Glenn Kotche, and multi-instrumental Pat Sansone and Mikael Jorgenen. The band originally started as an alternative country band (fresh from their roots as Uncle Tupelo) but have become a full-fledged indie rock band. The band has been nominated for four Grammys (two for "A Ghost is Born" and two for "Sky Blue Sky") and won two Grammys for "A Ghost is Born."

But what does that matter to you. All you need to know is that Wilco is a kick-ass band and like nothing you've heard before. The songs are significant -- not pop throw away pieces. The vocals are strained and emotional -- not synthesized and generic. The instrumentals are experimental and unique -- not drum machines and repetitive chords. Wilco is a band that makes music, and that's a rarity these days.

If you'd like to explore their discography, I'd recommend starting with "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" and continuing on to "A Ghost is Born." Their early work ("AM," "Summerteeth" and "Being There") is still mostly influenced by the alternative country scene and, while still excellent, isn't the best starting point for rock fans. But trust me, if you listen to their last three albums you will grow to love their early work all the more. In addition, Jeff Tweedy released "Sunken Treasures" which is a live CD of his acoustic show. It's also a must hear.

Trust me. If you like rock, you'll love Wilco.

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)