in Search

Firefox 3.0 Released

Last post 07-02-2008 5:18 PM by mike. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-01-2008 2:31 PM

• mike
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Posts 960

Firefox 3.0 Released

Firefox is becoming one of the most widely used internet browsers available today. When I started using it, it was so new that most harmful programs weren't even written to attack it, making it one of the safest browsers to use. Its popup blocking features and multiple tabs have only recently been adopted by the other internet browsers. It allows open source addons which are tools to add all kinds of useful functions to your browser. It has always been far ahead of its game, but now it's taking the next step. Mozilla has just released the newest version of its famous browser, Firefox 3.0.

Firefox 3.0 has thousands of new features and improvements. For starters, it is now over twice as fast as version 2.0. It has also implemented a new security feature which automatically flags sites known to be scams or security threats. Its search bar allows you to type in any part of the name of a site you have visited recently and it will show you a list of possible matches. You can click a single button to bookmark a site, or click it again to add it to an organized folder of bookmarks. You can also now do a full zoom to view in detail any part of a website.

There is one major thing to consider before you install Firefox 3.0. Because it is new, not all of its addons have been updated for 3.0 compatibility. You may find some of your best addons and customizations will not work on the new version. To make this an even bigger problem, they don't have easily accessible copies of Firefox 2.0 on their site. I installed 3.0 only to find that some of my most important tools wouldn't work with it. I was forced to rummage through my local files to find the 2.0 install file in my archives. Thankfully it allowed me to install 2.0 over 3.0 without any trouble and I was up and running again in no time. I will be waiting until my addons update before going to 3.0. For anyone who doesn't care too much about addons, I highly recommend jumping to Firefox 3.0.

You can download Firefox 3.0 HERE.

Every man dies, but few truly live. Live your life to its fullest, every day as if it were your last.
  • 07-02-2008 12:50 PM In reply to

Re: Firefox 3.0 Released

Did you choose to upgrade to Firefox 3.0? I use Firefox 2.0 and it hasn't prompted me to install the latest version like it has with all of the other upgrades it has gone through.
    May you live every day of your life.
  • 07-02-2008 5:18 PM In reply to

• mike
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Posts 960

Re: Firefox 3.0 Released

I ended up sticking with 2.0 until they finally make my addons compatible with 3.0. I'll upgrade as soon as I see the updated addon. It was so much trouble to get 2.0 back up after installing 3.0. The new version had a slightly different feel and look to it, but it seems most of the basics are exactly the same.

Every man dies, but few truly live. Live your life to its fullest, every day as if it were your last.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)