in Search

Sibling Rivalry

Last post 06-16-2009 12:46 PM by willburns1. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-20-2008 2:10 PM

• H2Mommy
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 05-20-2008
    • Tallahassee, Florida
    • Posts 11

Sibling Rivalry

I have a question for everyone out there. I am the Mother of 12 months old twin girls and lately the youngest of the two has become extremely clingy and jealous of her sister. She can not have a toy without her sister running up and snatching it from her. She's also been grabbing her by the hair or clothing and pulling her to the group if I am paying her too much attention. Now, I don't know exactly what to do. They are to young for discipline and I can't just ignore her cries for attention but I also can't be unfair to her sister. Any suggestions?

Filed under:
  • 05-20-2008 2:18 PM In reply to

• mike
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Posts 960

Re: Sibling Rivalry

Yikes, that sounds like quite a dilemma. When my sister was young she couldn't really do the sibling rivalry thing because we were so much older than her. It was pretty crazy having 2 kids in college and one in diapers. She still managed to have sibling problems with the DOGS. My dog is an attention hog and the two of them were always competing for attention. I used to walk in and find my mom in a big chair reading with my sister under one arm and the dog under the other.

Every man dies, but few truly live. Live your life to its fullest, every day as if it were your last.
  • 12-26-2008 11:00 AM In reply to

Wow, having twins means double trouble doesn't it? I have two girls that are 4 years apart and my oldest had a really hard time when my youngest came along and took some of her attention. What helps a tad is spending time with each of them individually. Read books to them, or bring them into a quiet room to sit and talk and play separately. That is easier said than done, but it does help the jealous sibling to cope a little better because they realize that they will have their time with mommy to look forward to.
  • 06-16-2009 12:46 PM In reply to

I'm not sure if this help you or not but when I was a child my mother tried to teach us that we could have our own stuff but would make the other share their toys with the other one. At the same time though making sure the owner of the toy mantained ownership of it and made sure to make the other child understand and respect that. I'm not sure if that helps but it's worth a shot .

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)