in Search

Suggestions for your medicine chest

Last post 05-19-2008 6:10 PM by mike. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-19-2008 11:55 AM

Suggestions for your medicine chest

It has taken me a long time to do it, but I finally have the rest of my family on board with these natural remedies. Both of these are now essentials at our house and are used frequently on my little boy.

Arnica is the stuff you want to have on hand for bruises and sore muscles. I was introduced to Arnica after a bike crash that onlookers described as spectacular. I landed on blacktop, and took the full force of the fall on my hip and upper thigh. A neighbor rushed to my rescue with a tube of the cool gel. I had very little bruising or swelling afterwards, which is really amazing because I bruise badly and easily.

The other remedy is ear candles, a remedy my grandmother used on her kids early in the 20th century. These are linen cones, coated with beeswax. They're maybe 12" long, and taper from 2" at one end to maybe 1/2" at the other. You lie down on your side, place the narrower end of the candle in your ear and then light the wider end. To avoid setting your head on fire, cut a small hole in the center of a tin pie plate or a sheet of foil, and put the narrow tip of the candle through it and into your ear. NEVER try to do this all by yourself! Remove the candle and douse it when it has burnt down about 2/3 of the way.

The ear candle works like a chimney, and the heat creates a draw that sucks all the nastiness out of your ears. The heat reaches way down inside your ear canal and soothes and relieves pressure. The candles have been a real blessing for family members who have allergies or frequent sinus inrections.

One more thing: The build up of disgusting stuff deep in your ears happens so gradually that you might not notice the resulting hearing loss, but I promise you'll hear better afterward!

• 05-19-2008 6:09 PM In reply to

• mike
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Posts 960

Re: Suggestions for your medicine chest

Jewel Weed is a natural remedy that has saved me so much pain on hikes. It's a natural remedy for bug bites, itches, and stings. It is usually found next to streams and running water. You just crush up the leaves and mash them into a paste. Then rub it on the sore area and it alleviates the poison considerably. Its orange flowers are easy to spot in the wild too. It looks like this:

Every man dies, but few truly live. Live your life to its fullest, every day as if it were your last.
  • 05-19-2008 6:10 PM In reply to

• mike
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Posts 960

Re: Suggestions for your medicine chest

Another natural remedy that has helped me immensely for sinus infections is horseradish. The stuff is SO potent, just smelling it will clear out your sinuses, no matter how stuffed up they are. I could barely breathe once and got a plastic squeeze bottle or boar's head horseradish. I would squeeze out air from the bottle into my nose and it burned the congestion right out. It doesn't help heal the infection but just being able to breathe is sometimes worth the burning sensation in your nostrils.

Every man dies, but few truly live. Live your life to its fullest, every day as if it were your last.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)