in Search

Thought for Food

Last post 10-27-2009 12:33 PM by Sorcha. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-30-2008 1:27 PM

Thought for Food

I am vehemently opposed to mixing fruits and meats. I don't like pineapple on ham, apple on pork, lemon or orange on chicken, or cranberries on turkey (on the same plate is OK, but not touching). And don't even get me started on mint jelly on lamb. Gross!

May you live every day of your life.
  • 04-30-2008 9:11 PM In reply to

Re: Thought for Food

Most of that stuff I really don't like. Stuff like lemon on fish I really love. I don't mind lemon on chicken too much and cranberries on anything other than cream cheese is kinda strange to me. I don't even like lamb so I definitely agree with your last statement.

Although I know that all the food ends up in the same anyways, I don't mix certain things. I'm fine with them touching but you won't see me mixing my pineapple bits into my salad. EW! :P

That's another thing.. I don't like nuts, olives, or fruit on my salads. :)

The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from.

- Andrew S. Tanenbaum
  • 05-01-2008 9:41 AM In reply to

• mike
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Posts 960

I love fruit in my cooking. I tried putting pineapple in spaghetti and everyone LOVED it. My coconut rice turned out to be a big hit, despite its original skepticism. I almost always use some form of lemon in tiny portions in my food to give it just a bit of zest. I make home made marinade for chicken with mango and pineapple juices blended with white wine and spices. It all sounds really strange but those meals turned out extremely well.  

I personally love mixing flavors to make a well rounded taste. I like to blend the zesty with the sweet and spicy with tangy to really make your taste buds water. I'm learning to make the flavors a bit less overwhelming, but I love experimenting. Like the other night I tried to fry shrimp coated in a mix of coconut, white wine, butter, lemon juice, and some spices. It was delicious but the flavor was just too strong and my taste buds just wore out and didn't want any more by the time I was finished.

Every man dies, but few truly live. Live your life to its fullest, every day as if it were your last.
  • 05-02-2008 11:08 PM In reply to

Mixing hearty meats with sweet fruits is an old technique that has reached new levels in modern cooking, and many people, including chefs, are just now catching on. My favorite combonation to date is to mix the spicy rodust flavor of grilled jerk chicken breast with the sweet twang of fresh pineapple and the starchy crunch of fried plantains, take these put them on a sandwhich with a garlic sour cream sauce and shreded iceburg lettuce and you have an award winning combonation. My own recipe, similar to this one, won me a sandwhich competition at my culinary school 2 weeks ago.

• 05-05-2008 9:31 AM In reply to

• mike
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Posts 960

I've had somewhat similar dishes but not with the plantains. That sounds absolutely delicious. I just have two questions. When do you open your restaurant and do you do out of state delivery?

Every man dies, but few truly live. Live your life to its fullest, every day as if it were your last.
  • 05-13-2008 4:23 PM In reply to

fruit plus carbs

i don't know about fruit 'n' meat but i know that fruit with carbs is a surefire way to make me groggy. tomato sauce on pasta? i need a nap! (and yes, tomatoes are botanically classified as a fruit, even though i, myself, still think of them as a vegetable.) crepes with strawberries for breakfast? yum! you bet! now back to bed. and so on.

i can, however, handle fruit combined with the smaller amount of carby goodness that is pie crust. especially if there's some sugary frozen dessert treat to go with it! 

emcee christmas
    Currents&Waves
  • 11-12-2008 3:40 PM In reply to

Maybe I'm the weird one but I love all those things together. I love mixing up meat and fruit or anything else for that matter. I love mixing flavors and textures together to make something that taste different and good at the same time. I think that people are just different and some don’t find that appetizing. I had a friend that would eat items on her plate one at a time and wouldn’t start eating something else on her plate till the first item was gone. I think that’s weird.

• 10-27-2009 12:33 PM In reply to

• Sorcha
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-27-2009
    • Posts 2

Re: fruit plus carbs

Nothing better than going back to sleep after breakfast! Heaven.

http://londondaughter.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)