in Search

Customized Control Style

Last post 03-28-2008 10:54 AM by Altair. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-18-2008 2:40 PM

• mike
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Posts 960

Customized Control Style

Do any of you use customized control styles, or do you stick to the defaults?  

I can't quite bring myself to get used to the normal Wii Remote control style, but my old Gamecube controllers just aren't holding up well. So I'm customizing my own controls to make it as similar to the Gamecube controls as possible. I didn't change too much in the controls. I have it set to where down on the directional pad is jump, right and left is side smash, and up is up smash. I also changed the C button to grab and set the Tap to Jump function off. This lets me easily do non smash attacks in upwards directions without jumping. That used to be really hard for me when I would use a lot of those moves because I kept jumping accidentally.

Every man dies, but few truly live. Live your life to its fullest, every day as if it were your last.
  • 03-18-2008 4:51 PM In reply to

Re: Customized Control Style

I use the Wiimote and Nunchuck control scheme also.  I turned off the tap jump, made down on the D-pad jump, and I use left and right on the D-pad and the C button as grab.  I really like this control scheme, but the only thing I am getting used to is dodging on the ground.  I think I will stick with this control method, though.  I like my newer wiimote more than using my old, beat up NGC controller.

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out.

Anton Chekhov
  • 03-18-2008 4:58 PM In reply to

Yeha, tell me about it. Those cube controllers get beat up so fast it's like impossible to keep them working right. I have one that makes me always run to the left, and one you cant hardly move with, and one that has a stuck B button. I wonder if the classic controllers will work better.

• 03-19-2008 12:46 AM In reply to

• mike
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Posts 960

Wow they're only $15 at Gamestop? I think I need to make a trip out there and pick up a controller or two. I'd like to get a wavebird wireless gamecube controller but those cost a lot and eat batteries. On the other hand, the wired controllers barely reach across my living room and make for some uncomfortable seating. Still they're so much easier to play with. I guess I'll just have to keep hoping I get a couple hours to really play and develop my play style.

Every man dies, but few truly live. Live your life to its fullest, every day as if it were your last.
  • 03-26-2008 11:50 AM In reply to

• Jon
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2008
    • Posts 112

The only real problem with customizing your controls is that if you aren't playing on your system, you might forget to change your controls, or you might not have time to. I suffered a lot playing Halo one time because I kept switching off with a guy who had his controls completely inverted, and it took me two long matches to get the controls back to normal. I don't want this to happen to me in Brawl, so I'll probably just stick to the conventional Wiimote-nunchuck controls.

• 03-26-2008 1:17 PM In reply to

• mike
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-23-2008
    • Posts 960

It's almost impossible to use normal controls once you've mastered the defaults. They did make some good strides to fix this problem. Your controls are saved to your name, which is easily switched at the start of any battle. You can actually save your name to your Wii Remote and it will be available to you when you sync up with the system. They really did think of everything.

• 03-28-2008 10:54 AM In reply to

That's the worst when you have to switch up controllers and suddenly you have the completely wrong control style. Suddenly everyone wonders why you're jumping when you want to punch or randomly committing suicide off a ledge. I think I'm going to get used to the regular controls just so I don't have to worry about it.  

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)