Thursday, September 03, 2009 12:25 PM
Addiction Kills DJ AM
DJ AM was found dead in his SoHo home on Friday evening, authorities said.
Toxicology tests must be performed on the deceased DJ to find out the exact cause of death, and that might take weeks.
According to the New York Daily News, the DJ was found with 8 undigested OxyContin pills in his stomach and one in his throat, leading them to believe that an overdose was a cause of his death.
DJ AM, or Adam Goldstein offstage, has openly admitted to having a problem with addiction over the years. He even did a show with MTV that was scheduled to air in October called "Gone Too Far" in which he and the families of addicts would do kind of an intervention for the addicts in need.
He even said that the show reminded him of his own addictions and even scared him sometimes.
"I have to constantly remind myself why I'm here and remember what it was like," he said.
Dr. Drew Pinskey, from the VH1 show "Celebrity Rehab" said this about painkillers, which is what he believes brought DJ AM back to his addiction:
"It very slowly and subtly reawakens addiction, I'm not saying it was
inappropriately prescribed, I'm saying he didn't know the risks."
DJ AM had been prescribed to pain medication ever since his critical injury that he suffered in a plane crash with Blink 182 drummer, Travis Barker.
He was burned very badly, and though he began to perform again within a month of the crash, he was prescribed to some pain medication for the skin grafts he had received.
Many of his friends are very distraught about his death. Travis Barker, the other member of their group TRVSDJ-AM, commented on twitter about his loss.
"Don't know how i am gonna play 2night but i am for AM," wrote Barker. "My brother is gone. i
love u and miss u, i'll never forget all the good times we had."
Goldstein's body was found in his apartment when a friend called the police after not being able to get into the home.
Paramedics had to break down the door, and upon entering the house found Goldstein's body, dressed in only sweatpants, in his bed without a pulse.
Addiction is a very real and scary thing, and any kind of drug can set it off.
Here is a great piece from DJ AM and Travis Barker:
Filed under: Music, drugs, DJ AM, suicide, travis barker, DJ, killed, TRVSDJ AM, oxycontin, Adam Goldstein, TRVSDJ-AM, Overdose, die