Freaky Friday: A very cheap wedding and a clean getaway car
It's Freaky Friday once again, and today we celebrate the, um, "special talents" of those less-than-intelligent crooks out there.
• A Pennsylvania couple desperate for money for their wedding concocted what they thought was a no-fail plan. They cut copper wire from more than a dozen utility poles and stole it. But they didn't count on the fact that the wire they stole would only net them about $18.
• Police don't get to yell "Drop that sauce pan!" very often. Well, they never do. But some cops were recently able to do so when a suspect was breaking windows at several residences. Why a sauce pan? Maybe a sledge hammer is a little hard to come by – but a sauce pan…well, everyone has those, right?
• Three police officers are under investigation in Houston, Texas after claims they were getting high while on duty. Who reported them? Well, the officers turned themselves in…while high.
• A drunk woman in Florida tried to rob a convenience store with a toy gun. But she was faked out by a clerk, who tricked her into believing the police had arrived and had the place surrounded. The clerk, who was stocking shelves and wasn't seen by the woman, yelled, "Palm Bay police, get on the ground!" The woman complied, and the two clerks held the woman until the police really did arrive.
• Police in Louisiana were baffled by a string of vacuum thefts. Until the thieves practically turned themselves in by stopping to get their getaway car washed. A deputy saw the vehicle that was reported as being seen at previous theft locations. The thieves were breaking into vacuums at car washes and stealing the coins inside. When they decided their ride was a little too dirty for theft, the deputy spotted them at a car wash washing their own vehicle, and the duo was arrested.